An industrial design is the product of man's creative activity in the field of styling. The object of an industrial design may be a shape, picture (drawing) or colouring or a combination thereof determining the appearance of a product and intended to satisfy aesthetic and ergonomic needs.
The object of an industrial design may be a shape, pattern or colour or a combination thereof, defining the appearance of an industrial product and designed to meet aesthetic and ergonomic needs.
Legal protection may not be granted to:
- architectural projects (except hard landscaping elements);
- industrial, hydraulic and other stationary structures;
- printed products as such;
- objects of unstable shape made from liquid, gaseous, loose or similar substances.
WHO CAN BE THE OWNER OF A UKRAINIAN PATENT FOR AN INDUSTRIAL DESIGN?
Both a natural person and a legal entity can be the owner of a Ukrainian patent for an industrial design.
RIGHTS OF AN OWNER OF A UKRAINIAN PATENT FOR AN INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
A registered industrial design provides its owner with the following:
- the right to use;
- the exclusive right to authorize nother persons/entities to use such industrial design (grant a license for its use to other persons/entities);
- prohibit other persons/entities to use such Industrial design.
INDUSTRIAL DESIGN REGISTRATION PERIOD
An industrial design is normally registered within 5-9 months, or within 2-3 months through an accelerated registration procedure.
Today, for manufacturers who export and import their goods, registration of industrial designs is an effective instrument of protection from "patent trolls".